Recently EA have spoken in secret about the Nintendo NX and their lack of plans to develop for it. They outlined a bunch of things that Nintendo is required to do in order to be blessed with EA’s fantastic library of quality games. To sum it up, they want Nintendo to “provide a market for sports games” by throwing millions of dollars on sports advertising. They just want a userbase that will buy sports games. Sound fair?
Let’s look at the BEST CASE SCENARIO where Nintendo releases an industry leading console, with the #1 selling game being a sports game. Let’s go CRAZY and assume this game is bundled with the system and becomes the highest selling game of all time. So here we have the perfect gaming console for EA to release sports games. This is what EA brings to the table.
FUCK. RIGHT. OFF.
I’m gonna flip this right around and give a narrative of EA’s meeting with Nintendo in March. They make their demands. They say all this shit. They make their big speech about how Nintendo needs to be “good enough” for EA and do their job for them.
Kimishima has not said a word this entire time, and has just sat patiently through a 30 minute EA presentation with dubstep music and people wearing backwards caps and sunglasses. He stares at every EA employee, one by one, shaking his head. “Where are the games?” he asks very calmly. EA employees all stare back with dead eyes. Flicking their pens, rudely tapping their smartphones. The head of EA’s team opens his mouth “We don-“
“ENOUGH!” Kimishima interrupts. His voice BOOMS across the room and wakes everyone up. EA employees drop their phones and sit up straight.
“I will not have my time wasted any further. If you want us to work with you after all the bullshit you have pulled in the past, we have our own demands. THESE ARE KIMISHIMA’S KONDITIONS.“
– Show us a game. Do not say “we will support NX” and rock up with a bunch of year-old ports or sports games with missing features. You said you would support Wii U at launch and we got a $60 port of Mass Effect 3 that was outsourced to a different developer. You couldn’t even make it yourselves. If this is your definition of “support”, you can shove it. Show that you care about game development. Show us you are not going to sabotage NX from the beginning like the Wii U. Otherwise, you are wasting everyone’s time by pretending to care.
– Don’t make SHIT. All your attempts to clone Wii Sports on the Wii had 40 second load times, graphical glitches, butchered multiplayer, unstable control schemes and poor user interfaces. You can’t get away with this when you’re being compared to Nintendo software. The Wii brought a lot of new people into gaming and this is something Nintendo does all the time with their mission of inclusive fun. When someone’s first exposure to gaming is one of your broken piece of shit titles, it creates a bad impression of gaming as a whole. People won’t be fooled again.
– No inferior versions. This just means don’t sabotage your efforts and treat NX like a lesser console. Missing online modes? Not acceptable. Bring your real franchises over and not full-priced spinoffs like Dead Space Extraction.
– Be a publisher. Sony and Microsoft might advertise your games for you and fight over your glorified presence but this is not normal, healthy behavior. For a publisher to grow you must support yourselves and understand the business. This is your job. You should know the sports audience if you make sports games. Your job right now is to make people give a shit about Madden, because nobody is buying it anymore.
– Use the console’s features. This is why Wii Sports was successful, it wasn’t just fun to play but new and fresh. So if anybody is going to give a shit about your NX library, it has to actually be useful and relevant to what people are playing on the console. You can’t port a PS4 game with the exact same controls. If you make a Splatoon ripoff it needs gyro aiming. A kart racer needs motion steering. Take advantage of the Miiverse. These are not difficult things to implement, and you might even have fun and discover something new. Whatever NX brings to the table, you need to be willing to adapt otherwise people will only care about Nintendo titles.
Nintendo does not need EA. EA made a whole bunch of shit for the Wii, but they played zero part in its success. In fact they are partly responsible for the bitterness gamers fostered for the console at the end of its life-cycle, with shitty software creating the false stigma that motion controls are bad. This also affected attitudes going forward, to the detriment of the Wii U.
EA may as well come out and say they never plan to support NX. I think that’s a decision they might have already made. These “conditions” are an attempt to make Nintendo look like the bad guys when EA has nothing to show. EA is a very weak example of an industry leader and Nintendo is better off not catering to them. Nobody fucking gives a shit about Madden anymore, so they can not dangle their sports games like some kind of prize. Nintendo is the only company that has actually increased the market for sports games in the last decade. Without EA, the NX game library will be higher quality, and Nintendo will have more freedom with console design and advertising. Why the fuck would they waste millions of dollars advertising at a soccer game? There’s going to be a Playstation logo shown 5 seconds later anyway. It’s a pointless pissing contest and Nintendo is much smarter than that. They are far better off doing their own thing, and if EA wants to have any success on Nintendo systems then they have to change their approach. Meeting over.